Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Treading Lightly // Shampoo-Free Update

"Treading Lightly" is a series that focuses on living lighter -- depending on less, focusing on simplicity, and generally living green. Though I want to travel far and wide, I also want to tread lightly upon this earth and make an effort to keep my impact small.
It has been over a year since I've used shampoo. I first wrote about the decision to go shampoo-free last spring, and since then I've only become more convinced that I'm never going to touch the stuff again.

The pictures above show my hair shampoo and product-free, with a bonus of a case of bed-head.

I can count the number of times I've used baking soda (my shampoo replacement) in the last six months on one hand -- my hair and scalp seem to have adapted, and all I really need to do is give my head a good scrub with my fingers in the shower.
Spending Christmas at home meant dealing with the dry hair and skin of winter for the first time since going shampoo-free. At first my hair was a little frizzy, but a dollop of jojoba oil massaged into the roots and a thorough brushing with a boar hair brush solved the dryness entirely.

Though it was a challenge to start, I don't think I'll ever go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment